When looking for the best food for your toy or small breed dog, there are a number of factors that influence the right choice. This includes the nutritional formulation as well as attention to details like kibble size. Purina® Pro Plan® has a number of great options designed to bring out the best in your dog. But first a little background:
TOY DOG BREEDS
This group includes dogs that weigh 10 pounds or less at maturity:
- Yorkshire Terriers
SMALL DOG BREEDS
This group includes dogs that reach a maximum weight of 20 pounds or less:
- Shih Tzus
- Jack Russell Terriers
- West Highland White Terriers (Westies)
- Scottish Terriers
- Miniature Schnauzer
- Bichon Frises
- Cavalier King Charles
- Boston Terriers
CONSIDERATIONS FOR LIFESTAGE
The nutritional needs of your toy or small breed dog will change over time. So it’s important to know what types of nutrition can support these different stages in life.
Growing puppies require more calories, protein and fat than adult dogs. And while the rule of thumb is to feed your dog puppy food up to his or her first birthday, toy and small breeds can reach full size as early as 10 months.
Purina® Pro Plan® Puppy foods provide DHA, an omega fatty acid, to help nourish brain and vision development. For proper bone growth, our puppy foods contain an optimal calcium-to-phosphorus ratio. Their developing immune systems can also benefit from vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E and selenium, which are beneficial antioxidants.
Work with your veterinarian for an opinion as to when your dog is fully-grown if you’re thinking about transitioning early. All of our Pro Plan® adult formulas are designed to support good health and an ideal body condition throughout life.
For smaller dogs, the transition typically occurs around age 7. Look for a food with specialized nutrition that addresses not just the physical changes that occur later in life, but the age-related cognitive changes as well.
A NUMBER OF GREAT OPTIONS
Purina® Pro Plan® offers a number of specialized formulas to satisfy the nutritional needs of toy and small breeds across all stages of life. Because of their small mouths, it’s important to feed toy and small breed dogs (up to 10-20 pounds at maturity) nutrient-dense, bite-sized kibble. Dry dog foods with Vitamin A, linoleic acid and high-quality protein will also support skin and coat health in these smaller dogs.
- To meet the needs of growing toy and small breed puppies, we offer Pro Plan® FOCUS Toy Breed Formula for Puppies and Pro Plan®FOCUS Puppy Small Breed Formula
- Try Pro Plan® Pro Plan® FOCUS Adult Toy Breed Formula and Pro Plan®FOCUS Adult Small Breed Formula as each feature real chicken as the #1 ingredient and nutrient-dense kibble in small, bite-sized pieces.
- If your dog is a picky eater, our Pro Plan® SAVOR® Adult Shredded Blend Small Breed Chicken & Rice Formula for Adult Dogs Under 20 Pounds has easy-to-chew, bite-sized kibble combined with small tender, shredded pieces for a taste and texture dogs love.
- If your dog is age 7 or older, take a look at Pro Plan® BRIGHT MIND™7+ Small Breed Formula. With breakthrough use of enhanced botanical oils shown to promote alertness and mental sharpness in dogs 7+, with visible results within 30 days.
Those are just a few of the formulas targeted specifically to meet the needs of toy or small breed dogs. When you choose a formula of Purina®Pro Plan®, you’re making a smart choice for your dog.
Want an expert recommendation based on your dog’s unique needs and preferences? Get a myPLAN recommendation and a rebate for a free (4 – 6 lb bag, up to $18.99) bag. GET STARTED NOW.
Good only in U.S.A., A.P.O.’s, F.P.O.’s. Void where taxed, prohibited, restricted. Allow 6-8 weeks for shipment. LIMIT ONE REQUEST PER INDIVIDUAL, ADDRESS, or EMAIL ADDRESS. Offer expires 04/30/2015. SEE FULL TERMS.