Dogs share many similarities with people in how they grow and age. From birth, a period of rapid development is followed by adulthood and the maintenance associated with it before settling into their golden years.
Here’s a look at how your dog’s body changes, and how nutrition can support a healthy, active life along the way.
Once a puppy has been weaned from his or her mother and is ready to transition to puppy food, there are a number of things to consider when selecting a food designed to get a great start to life.
A quality puppy food will provide higher energy density to support a growing body and mind since growing bodies require more calories, protein and fat than adult dogs.
Purina® Pro Plan® Puppy dry formulas also provide:
- DHA, an omega fatty acid, to help nourish brain and vision development. For proper bone growth, our puppy foods contain an optimal calcium-to-phosphorus ratio.
- Antioxidant-rich nutrition to help support a developing immune system.
While most breeds consider a dog to be fully grown and transitioned into adulthood around their first birthday, some toy and small breeds can make this transition sooner. And since large and giant breeds can take longer to reach full size, it’s acceptable to feed a puppy formula for up to 2 years.
Once a dog reaches adulthood, its body shifts from growth mode to maintenance mode, with the goal of being fit and active throughout life.
When you take a look at Purina® Pro Plan® adult dog foods, you’ll see they provide:
- An optimal protein-to-fat ratio that helps your dog maintain an ideal body condition
- Antioxidants and minerals to support a strong immune system
- Omega fatty acids help nourish healthy skin and coat
Our nutrition for adult dogs can address specific needs or preferences. This may include dogs with sensitive skin or digestive systems; those who lead such an active life, that they need a food more geared toward top performing athletes; or those consumers who prefer a food with or without grains or a specific protein source.
Most dog owners overlook the fact that a dog may begin to show signs of age-related cognitive and physical decline around age 7. These changes may require a change in your approach to feeding.
Senior formula dry dog foods from Purina® Pro Plan® have:
- A high protein/fat ratio to help maintain lean muscle mass
- Rich antioxidants to help support a healthy immune system
- EPA, an Omega-3 fatty acid, to help support joint health and mobility
Purina® Pro Plan® BRIGHT MIND™ Adult 7+ formulas also feature the breakthrough use of MCTs as an additional energy source to help your dog think like he or she did at a younger age.
FIND THE RIGHT FORMULA
Your dog has unique traits. Use myPlan to get an expert recommendation for a perfect formula for your dog.
myPLAN from Purina® Pro Plan® takes characteristics such as, your dog’s age, breed size and activity level, as well as his or her preferences into consideration to find just the right match.